Ocean’s Eleven’ Now On: 11 Weeks of Ocean Sustainability by Outrigger Resorts
‘Ocean’s Eleven’ is an expansion of Outrigger’s ZONE.
To go beyond world ocean monthwhich kicked off June 8, Outrigger Resorts launched 11 weeks of environmental action, informally dubbed “Ocean’s Eleven,” which will run through August 31 at its nine flagship properties.
Outrigger Resorts in Asia-Pacific, including Fiji, Thailand, Mauritius, Maldives and Hawaii, organize multiple events ranging from planting corals, building fish houses, cleaning beaches and seas, and planting mangrove trees. For guests less willing to take the plunge, there will be in-room videos, kids’ club activities, and presentations on manta rays, whale sharks, turtles, and coral reef conservation.
“Ocean’s Eleven” is an extension of Outrigger’s ZONE (OZONE), the company’s global conservation initiative that provides enriching experiences for Outrigger’s guests, hosts and local communities, with a focus on health oceans and coral reefs.
Here are examples from Outrigger’s marine conservation campaign:
- phuket – after the beach cleanup on June 8 by the hosts of Outrigger Surin Beach Resort and Outrigger Khao Lak Beach Resort, the team joined in the planting of mangroves on Mai Khao Beach in Phuket , June 13.
- Koh Samui – Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort staff have collaborated with Trash Heroes Koh Samui in their weekly cleaning efforts around the island’s beaches; staff also assisted the Bantai Crab Bank with its catch-and-release program that releases baby crabs back into the ocean.
- Maldives – led by Lynn Kessler, in-house marine biologist at Outrigger Maafushivaru Maldives Resort, Outrigger will collect data on manta rays and whale sharks for local conservation NGOs; she also works with ORP, a sea turtle protection group that also performs underwater cleanups of man-made debris; Ms. Kessler will give marine biology presentations twice a week for guests. And to raise awareness – and for fun – Outrigger offers its guests a Blue Ocean Martini, consisting of vodka, martini and Blue Curaçao.
- Mauritius – beach cleaning at Outrigger Mauritius with local school children in August when a mobile marine education center called Bis Lamer will be present at the resort throughout the month. On June 8, ocean awareness excursions were held on a glass-bottom boat for children who also participated in World Ocean Day “edutainment” games ashore.
- Fiji – there will be a beach cleanup around the island on June 16 in Castaway Island, Fiji and a fish house build on June 23.
- Hawaii – Hosts and guests of Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort will participate in a Sustainable Coastal Cleanup Festival, taking place June 18; Outrigger will also be hosting its 6th Annual OZONE Day at the Waikiki Aquarium, with lots of educational activities for families, on June 25.
These are just highlights of the activities. Others will be added between mid-June and the end of August.
“As owners and operators of resorts from Mauritius to Hawaii, Outrigger is at the forefront of the connection between healthy oceans and healthy communities,” said Monica SalterOutrigger’s vice president of global communications and social responsibility.
“The goal of ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ – 11 weeks of marine action and awareness – is to inspire guests and guests to take individual action towards a sustainable lifestyle. We hope this will have a positive impact for the planet beyond our intensive action period of nearly three months,” she says.