Lights out at Sands China integrated resorts for Earth Hour 2022
Earth Hour was founded in 2007 to raise awareness of climate change by encouraging environmentally conscious individuals, communities, households and businesses around the world to turn off their lights for one hour.
In addition to participating in Earth Hour, Sands China has taken the initiative since 2013 to observe Earth Hour every month. The company’s resorts turn off exterior lights, signage and marquees for one hour on the first Tuesday of each month, in an effort to maximize the positive environmental effects of the energy-saving movement.
Sean McCreerySenior Vice President of Resort Operations for Sands China Ltd., said, “Sands China is very pleased to support Earth Hour for 14 consecutive years. Raising awareness is a crucial first step in getting people to take action on climate change, and Earth Hour remains one of the most visible global initiatives in this regard. Along with the very real effects of reducing the consumption of energy, Earth Hour, as well as monthly celebrations at our properties, are an important reminder that we all have an important role to play in living and promoting an eco-friendly and sustainable lifestyle. operating environmentally friendly businesses.”
Since 2019, Sands China’s various sustainability measures have resulted in 26 million kWh annualized energy savings nowadays.
In 2021 alone, Sands China’s environmentally friendly achievements included:
- 275 gigajoules of renewable energy generated by the solar thermal hybrid system
- 909,000 kWh of energy saved
- Over 99% LED lighting used in Sands China properties
- $1.95 million invested in energy efficiency projects
- 40,000 MWh International renewable energy certificates purchased
- More than 4,000 eco-responsible gestures
- Absolute scope 1 (direct) and scope 2 (indirect) emissions decreased by 32% from a 2018 baseline (including pandemic impacts)
- Start of installation of a high-temperature heat pump at Plaza Macao, replacing the need for liquefied petroleum gas boilers
- Improvements to central control and management systems at Venetian Macao, with improvements to all properties planned over the next few years; upgrades to unique systems that can be connected and pave the way for more advanced intelligence and automation
- Team members purchased LED lighting products and recycled bulbs during a two-week energy-saving tour in support of World Environment Day 2021
sands China awards and honors in 2021 included:
- All Sands China property hotels hold a Macao Green Hotel Gold Award: Sands Macao, The Venetian Macao, The Parisian Macao, Four Seasons, Sheraton, Conrad, St. Regis and The Londoner Macao
- Listing in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) for DJSI Asia-Pacific
- Ranked 9th in the 6th Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index (HKBSI)
- Ranked 8th in the 2nd Greater Bay Area Business Sustainability Index (GBABSI)
- Ranked 17th in the 1st Greater China Corporate Sustainability Index (GCBSI)
- Ranked 9th in the 1st Hotel Business Sustainability Index (Hotel BSI)
- Listing in the FTSE4Good index series
sands China environmental sustainability efforts are part of Sands ECO360 Global Sustainability Strategy of parent company Las Vegas Sands Corp. Sands ECO360 is designed to use measures such as energy saving, resource recycling, conservation and community involvement to help minimize the company’s environmental impact and pave the way for the sustainable development of buildings and resort operations. More information about the program is available at https://www.sands.com/responsibility/planet/#our-program-sands-eco360.
About Sands China Ltd.
Sands China Ltd. (Sands China or the Company) is incorporated in the Cayman Islands limited liability and is listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (HKEx: 1928). Sands China is the largest operator of integrated resorts in Macau. The Company’s integrated resorts on the Cotai Strip include The Venetian® Macau, The Square® Macao, Le Parisien Macao and Le Londonien® Macau. The Company also owns and operates Sands® Macau on the Macau peninsula. The Company’s portfolio includes a diverse mix of leisure and business attractions and transportation operations, including large meeting and convention facilities; a wide range of restaurants; shopping centers; world-class entertainment at the Cotai Arena, Venetian Theatre, Parisian Theatre, Londoner Theater and Sands Theatre; and a high-speed Cotai Water Jet ferry service between hong kong and Macau. The Company’s Cotai Strip portfolio aims to contribute to from Macau transformation into a global center for tourism and leisure. sands China is a subsidiary of global resort developer Las Vegas Sands Corp. (NYSE:LVS).
For more information, please visit www.sandschina.com.
Corporate Communications, Venetian Macau Limited
Tel: +853 8118 2268
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +853 8118 2054
E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE Sands China Ltd.