Clearwater Nationals powerboat races return this weekend
CLEARWATER, FL – More than 2,500 powerboats will line Clearwater Beach this weekend when the city hosts the annual Hooters Clearwater Offshore Nationals motor boat races this weekend.
More than 180,000 powerboat racing fans, vendors and sponsors are expected to travel the 2.5 miles on Saturday and Sunday for the Race World Offshore sanctioned event.
In addition to the boat races, the weekend will feature parties, fireworks, vendors and shows.
The weekend starts Friday at 8 p.m. with a party at Shephard seaside resort, 619 S. Gulfview Blvd., Clearwater Beach with live music, DJ dancing and drink specials. There is a cover charge to attend.
The action continues with powerboat trials in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. Spectators can watch from Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach.
Dubbed the “Dry Pits” motorboats, will be staged along Clearwater Beach and fans will have the chance to see them up close, tour the teams and get autographs.
There will be vendors and entertainment from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday at Pier 60 and Shephard’s Beach Resort will have a party from 8 p.m. to end with a live band and a DJ. VIP pass holders will be admitted free of charge. There will be a cover charge for all others.
The motor boat races will take place Sunday at 11 am, 12:30 pm and 2 pm at Pier 60. Entrance to Pier 60 begins at 9 am. Tickets are available on race day at Pier 60 for $ 20 for adults and $ 10 for children.
Amplify Clearwater host a post-race Sunday with live music, an NFL watch night and free access to the beach and hotel bars at 4 p.m.
A race evening and a prize-giving will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Marina Cantina Tequila Bar & Grill, 25 Causeway Boulevard, Clearwater. All fans and teams are welcome. There will be happy hours and the awards ceremony at 6 p.m.
VIP pass are available at a price of $ 100 for adults and $ 20 for children 16 and under and include the Baystar Race VIP party on Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Clearwater Marine Aquarium where fans can meet racing teams and get autographs and photos, enjoy live entertainment and hearty appetizers with alcohol, wine and beer, and receive full access to Amplify Clearwater’s Taste Fest 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the fourth floor of the aquarium where participants can sample food from over 20 restaurants.
Other benefits for VIP pass holders include:
- Free entry to selected weekend events and participating venues.
- 10 percent off your bill at Baystar Restaurants.
- 10 percent off your bill at Evy’s Terrace Bar & Bistro at Hampton inn.
- 50% discount on a race observation cruise with The tropics boat tour.
- Free entry to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.
- Free parking in the city center.
What would you like to know
- Spectators can watch all the action from the beach or Pier 60. No chairs or coolers are allowed on the pier.
- Parking can be a challenge on Clearwater Beach. Some parking options to consider are the North beach parking spacea, the Jolley trolley and the Clearwater Ferry.
- The Seminole boat launch and trailer parking area will be closed from September 24 to 26. Residents who wish to launch their boat or park their trailer should look for other locations. Limited parking for vehicles without a trailer will be available for those visiting the marina or the bait shop.
The National Hooters Clearwater Offshore Festival 2021 Proceeds will be used to support Tampa Bay Charities Inc., which includes the Clearwater Community Sailing Center and Sailability.
For more information, click here.